While your stay in Korea if you are dining at a Korean’s home or your meal is being treated by a Korean you should definitely know the table manners otherwise you will make a bad impression of yourself in front Koreans.

I will specifically talk about 먹겠습니다 (jal-meok-ge-sseum-ni-da) and 먹었습니다 (jal-meok-geo-sseum-ni-da) .

먹겠습니다 (jal-meok-ge-sseum-ni-da):

It means “I am going to eat well” or “I will eat well”. Koreans frequently use this expression before eating the meal kind of like thanking the person for the meal.

먹었습니다 (jal-meok-geo-sseum-ni-da):

It means “I have eaten well” or “I ate well”. This expression is used after finishing the meal to thank the person for the meal.

If you haven’t noticed yet, food in South Korea is pretty important. So, don’t forget to use these phrases before and after eating your meal.

Let me know if there are any mistakes and if you have any questions do ask me in the comment section.

If you are learning Korean or interested in South Korea do check my blogs👈.